Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Final Post | Susan Mihalick

I was shaking in my boots (quite literally, I remember I wore boots) the first day of Graphics class. All the Newhouse students I had spoken to about this course had said things like, “graphics will rule your life” or “guess I won’t be seeing you this semester.” Naturally, after these reactions, I anticipated failure. I mean, when a class is portrayed as “time consuming, confusing, intimidating, and AWFUL”, who wouldn’t?

Thankfully, my experience in Graphics this semester did not fit many of these descriptions. While I do agree that the projects were quite time consuming, and at times, frustratingly confusing in the production stages, I really felt successful in this course. All of the projects were enjoyable and beneficial. I truly could not have done any of my projects though or felt this self-proclaimed “success” without the help and encouragement of our awesome T.A. (you know who you are…Paul) and our highly qualified and caring Prof. Taylor. It was their influences that ultimately lead me to a greater respect and admiration for all things design.

I never thought I would learn and benefit as much from this class as I have. Graphics has without a doubt made me far more comfortable and confident with the Adobe Creative suite. I am still no expert, but I no longer cringe and let out a small squeal over the words “In Design” or “Photoshop”. I know that the skills I have learned in this class from the gestalt principles to the pen tool will somehow, serve me well in the future. Also, all those hours in the labs (and yes, regardless of what a Prof. may say and how much pre planning you do…you WILL end up being in the labs for quite some time) have made me realize what I do and do not enjoy about design. Conceptualizing and idea, free hand drawing designs and thumbnails, love it! While production, editing, tabs, formatting I could definitely live without.

I also learned a great deal about my work ethic and myself. Here we go: I am stubborn, enjoy being creative, persistent (within reason) and am far more of a perfectionist than I like to think (as I was OFTEN unsatisfied with my projects). This knowledge is priceless.

Looking back, I honestly would have taken this class, even if it were not a Newhouse requirement. I genuinely enjoyed my time in Graphics, and am considering taking more classes, regardless of my major. Thank you for reigniting my passion for design. I will forever be a business card collecting, pen tool using, type “snob.” My sincere thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment