Sunday, May 2, 2010

Weeek 14 l McGIll







Topic Choice:


I decided to create a new website for the Broad Street Run because I am from Philadelphia and love this event. I have run this race before and really enjoyed it. When I saw their website I realized it could use some updates and that I could simplify a lot of the information.


Typeface Choice:


I only used two typeface families in my design to maintain a simplistic design. For my main headers in my base design and sidebar I used Bell Centennial. For the body text and headers I used variations of Futura. Both fonts are easy to friendly and easy to read.



Overall Design and Use Of Color:


While the Philadelphia skyline may not be as tall as the Manhattan skyline, it is still iconic and I knew I wanted to include it in some capacity. I outlined a photo of the skyline in illustrator and filled it with black. The skyline leads the reader’s eye to the main headline “Blue Cross Broad Street Run. The black of the skyline and of the sidebar on the left frames the content. Blue Cross’ logo is blue so I decided to continue the use of blue throughout the design. Not only does the blue behind the skyline appear to be sky but it also creates a Gestalt with the logo. I then chose a lighter shade of blue as a background for navy text. The mouse over also is the same shade of blue as the sky which creates continuity. I also knew I wanted to include some depiction of a road. I created the road in illustrator. The road leads the reader from the Blue Cross logo off the right side of the page. This bleeding off the page helps guide the reader to other pages.

1 comment:

  1. I really like how the title of the website at the top works nicely with the skyline. That really grabbed my attention. Your web design is awesome looking. The only thing that I would change is make the type on the "Route Map" larger so there is less space between the text.

    ReplyDelete