Monday, March 22, 2010

Logo Project | Picini


Design Strategy:

Firstly, my logo needed to show that I am a photographer. I also wanted my logo to show a young, lively personality, while still presenting something orderly and professional.


Choice of Typefaces:

I chose the typeface Antique Olive Std (Roman) because I thought it looked lively and clear cut. I wanted a sans serif font because to me they look more youthful and casual, but I didn’t want a novelty font for fear of looking childish or having too much going on. I especially like the large counters in the Antique Olive Std, I think it looks fresh, and I like the slanted counter of the two-story a’s because add a factor of artsiness and elegance to the typeface. I also like the flattened i dots for the text of my business card/envelope, but made them round on the actual logo to create a connection between the perfectly round lens and i dots. I used all lower case letters to keep the feel comfortable and friendly. I wouldn’t use Antique Olive Std for an essay, because I think the large counters make large bodies of text more difficult to read, but I liked the way it looked in the limited information of my name, number, email and address (although Paul suggeste using a fake address since it’s getting posted on the blog, I don't actually live in England).


Visuals:

I created the logo mark in Adobe Illustrator using the pen tool to trace. I used my webcam to take a picture of myself holding my camera to take a picture and then traced my hands and the camera in Adobe Illustrator. Originally the last three fingers on my right hand were sticking up, because that’s how I take pictures, but Professor Taylor advised me to simplify it by mirroring my left hand position on the right side. I also enlarged the lens size by her suggestion and really like the way it looks, because I think it shows more perspective and gives the impression of the subject being close to the camera, which is typical because I take a lot of close-up pictures. I think the lens flare adds dimension to the camera and I moved it to the bottom to frame the lens and direct your eyes upwards towards my name. I used Antique Olive Std Roman again for my name because I like the simplicity but uniqueness of it. My name was the trickiest part of the logo, because my first name is awkwardly long, and my last name three letters shorter. I tried curving my name several different places but had a lot of trouble getting the arc tool to fit to the circle of the lens. Eventually I sized the Picini to fit into the elevated flash and curved my name over the top. To do this I made the text outlines and warped them using the standard arc. The color I used for the logo was a saturated golden yellow (C:0, M:14, Y: 100, K:0) because I wanted to portray a friendly, youthful color. Aside from being my favorite color, yellow has been known to stimulate emotion, and represent optimism, confidence, creativity and friendliness.


And I don't know how to move these bloody jpegs around, so the top one is my business card and envelope and the bottom is my stationery.

No comments:

Post a Comment