Friday, March 26, 2010

Ryan McDonnell Project 3



Design Strategy

For my logo I decided to have a play on my initials. By using “RPM”, I created a tachometer found in a race car to create this visual. The racing reference is also a connection to my passion for sports, which is also a field I am looking to go into in terms of sports journalism. It also helps give off the idea that I’m a diligent worker and always on the go.

Choice of Typeface

I used Calcite Pro Regular exclusively in my project. I felt that this font had a racing feel to it and helped make a good connection with the logo. The font is also leaning forward, which gives off a message that I’m always thinking ahead and wanting to continue forward in my career. The letters alternate between upper and lower cases to help out with readability. I think this font is a little bit more difficult to read than others, but I think it’s clear enough for almost all readers to be able to read it.

Visuals

I drew the logo in Adobe Illustrator using the pen tool and the circle tool. My two colors are black and orange (0/79/100/0) because I felt the contrast between a dark and a warm color would go well together and because orange and black are complimentary colors (seen in things such as Halloween decorations). The “RPM” type on the logo is used to further give off the visual of a tachometer on a car that reads the RPM of the engine. The project was saved in a .AI format. The stationary and envelope were both printed out of Illustrator, while the business cards were copied from Illustrator to Adobe InDesign and were printed out of that program.

No comments:

Post a Comment