Friday, March 26, 2010

Week 9 | Leveille




Design Strategy:

My main focus for the logo was to identify my values as both a journalist and a person in general: objectivity, accuracy and honesty. The use of color, the visual of a dog and the simplicity work together in order to portray this image. I also found a way to subtly use my initials as the logo by creating a second “L,” which serves as a shadow. The dog, although it has its own specific message, is also used as a period to signify the end of my initials.

Choice of Typeface:

I wanted to use a script “L” that would be similar yet unique in comparison to the font used for the rest of the text. For the L’s, I used Medici Script LT Std. in order to create gestalt between the L’s used in the logo and the L’s used in the actual templates. The rest of the text uses serif font ITC Caslon 224 Std. because it is distinctive, clear and differs from the usual Times New Roman.

Visuals:

I created the logo on Illustrator by tracing the Medici Script LT Std. L’s with one of the brushes. I made the “L” in the front using a shade of green and then traced another and placed it behind the first. The second uses the same shade of green at a lower transparency. Green was my choice of color because it represents neutrality, and I thought it would best represent objectivity. I then traced a picture of a German shepherd and placed it on the curve of the L as if it is looking ahead in the horizon. I chose the image of a dog because journalists serve as the watchdog to the government. It is different than the usual pen or notebook used to identify journalists.


No comments:

Post a Comment