Friday, February 26, 2010

Maxwell Week 6



I chose to do my poster for March of Dimes which is a foundation that raises money for premies and babies in general. The hardest part about this project was coming up with an idea that I had the skill to create with the software. I ended up throwing out my first four ideas because there just wasn't enough time to learn the software well enough to execute the poster that I envisioned. I looked at some of the other posters March of Dimes used in the past and the ones I found were all really old; and they all showed either kids or entire families with walking sticks and and other illnesses.* So I wanted to do something a little perkier with my poster. I wanted to add some happier colors (and some healthier babies!) to make the poster less...melancholic. I have done the march twice in Cincinnati and it's a very big deal in our city so I added the Cincinnati skyline behind the baby to spice up the background.

I also played around with the Uncle Sam war recruitment poster because although it is nice and pink and blue with a smiling baby and whatnot, I also wanted it to be a call to action and really encourage people to participate in the march. So I used a big bold typeface and added a thick red stroke, as it is done in the original poster, to catch attention and give the poster a more conversational, or personal tone if you will.

Overall, I think I want to do another poster. I like this one just because it's the first one I've ever designed, but I would like to do another one for a different event to see what I can really do with a little more conceptualizing and more skill with the software.

Final thought of the project: Knowing photoshop would've been f*cking amazing.

*I found out that March of Dimes was originally founded during Roosevelt's presidency to help provide aid to children with Polio and fund research, as a great deal of people had fallen victim to the disease. The Polio cure was actually found partially using money provided by the March of Dimes Foundation, and the foundation was not always called so. They had a slogan encouraging people to even give just a dime to help fight Polio; the name stuck and was eventually made official.

No comments:

Post a Comment