Monday, February 1, 2010

Week One NADELL


Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor is one of my favorite albums, however the typeface in the bottom right corner has a lot of flaws to it in my opinion. First, I think that the font choice is very difficult to read. Although I understand that the type is supposed to resemble arabic and emphasize Fiasco's muslim roots, a viewer has to look very carefully to interpret the text as "Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor". Simply making the text bigger could've made it much easier to read. Also, I think that the color of the text adds to its difficulty to read. The color isn't simply white. There seems to be some type of glow to the white text that makes the individual letters blend together. What I do like about this typeface are the unique capital letters at the beginning of each word. The L's and the F's are really cool and are easy to read but its the lower case letters that are challenging to decipher. I think that since this was Fiasco's debut album it would have been in his best interest to pick a more legible typeface so that people could easily recognize whose album this was.

1 comment:

  1. Sam,

    I agree that Lupe committed a fiasco in letting this font be used. His design looks like an 80s music video gone wrong. And I have NOTHING against the 80s or its array of awesome music videos. This is a classic case of "Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done."

    Good job and keep up the good work.

    Cheers,
    paul

    ReplyDelete