Friday, February 12, 2010

Week 3 Ryan McDonnell

Design Strategy

When coming up with an idea for my resume, I wanted something that would come off as clean looking while also showing a bit of creativity. At first I was considering having two different columns, but I decided that sticking to one column would make the resume look cleaner and flow more easily. In addition, I felt that adding lines ranging from 1-2 pts would not only help separate the sections of the resume, but also help put a creative touch to it and balance it out more. I decided that I should put my contact info on the bottom so it would not get in the way of my name design on the top. It’s aligned to the center to make it come off cleaner and not appear like the rest of the resume being on the left side. The tabbing I used for the resume was put in place to help separate headings, titles of positions, activities, skills, or schools, and locations. I put together the locations and dates together because I felt it looked better as a whole when they were not separated. Lastly, I strayed away from color so that in the case I need multiple copies of a resume, I wouldn't have to run up the bill copying in color.

Choice of Typeface

When created my resume, I stuck with serif fonts to give a more traditional and professional look to it. I felt Calvert MT Std was a very good font to choose for the headings and wordmark, as it not only keeps a traditional yet sleek look, but also comes off as looking very clean. It also plays a big role in the wordmark, as the serifs connect the “y” in my first name and the “M” in my last name and creates a link between the two. The two different colors help make a contrast between the two names. Furthermore, I used Stempel Garamond LT Std for the body writing because of its readability. It keeps the same level of professionalism for a resume while at the same time is easily readable for someone who’s looking through it. Accessibility was key for my choice of typeface, so I strayed away from any hard to read fonts and stuck with two very clear fonts that come off as professional looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment