Friday, February 5, 2010

Week Two | Nelson


When it comes to user friendly websites, I feel like almost any site designed for a specific channel is always very easy to use. As one example, I chose NBC. com. Upon entering the site, there's videos that automatically play and a little slideshow goes through showing various clips from the new upcoming shows of that week. along the top are various options to choose from (I have shows selected in the picture, which brings up a blurb of upcoming shows, current shows, original shows, favorites and classics as well), like news, community, extras, and so on. Each is clearly labeled and completely manageable. All anyone has to do is click on a little link and be brought to a broader spanse of options to narrow down their search. The home page also tries to draw people in by having wep exclusives, such as the vlogs from "The Office." In this way, the website helps draw loyal fans to get even more of their show by simply opening the website and scrolling down. Various articles are displayed, and everything is labeled clearly in large font so no one can miss what they're looking for. This current design enables users to either be able to find what they want directly and not have to waste time scrolling through the entire website, or to browse around after spotting something that sounds interesting on the homepage display. The user is in complete control of their experience on the site, and it's all very interactive.

Another example of a website for a specific channel is ABC.com. In my opinion, the design of this page isn't as user-friendly as NBC, nor does it have as much to choose from. On this homepage, all the shows are on display with a link to take you to watch the current episode. At the top of the page, the user can select shows, schedule or watch an episode, with some other smaller links for news and other areas of interest. Similar to NBC, there's a constant slideshow of the featured shows and more links to watch the latest episode. Though this site is basically the same as the design of NBC, it seems a little less user friendly in that it's rather limiting. It doesn't have any articles featured to grab people's interests. The main focus is on the television shows, like Lost, and all they want the user to do it seems is watch the latest episode. I think if the design was more open and wasn't solely focused on getting more people to watch that week's episodes, it'd be more interesting and get more users other than those who do go to the site to watch the episode they missed. Overall, any website for a tv show/channel is always very user friendly and generally very organized.

2 comments:

  1. Tonya,

    I liked your comparison of ABC and NBC. I think, because I'm a visual person, the ABC site appeals more to me - I can see if what I want is on the front page, and then move on if it isn't. For me, the NBC page is too text heavy at first glance.

    Your comments about ABC speak to how they perceive user needs/wants - i.e. they think visitors want to see the latest episode and therefore rotate their content accordingly. I usually bypass both sites and go to my fave: HULU. :)

    LOST Fan? I totally am. Let me know if you saw the season premiere.

    Cheers,
    paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, me too! I'm all about Hulu.
    I love Lost! But I fell behind last season, so I have to catch up first or else I'll be more confused than usual.

    ReplyDelete