Wednesday, February 10, 2010

WeekThree|Mihalick


Design Strategy:

I approached this project in hopes of creating a readable, and professional resume with a distinct word mark. As an advertising major, in hopes of being on the creative side of the business, I wanted my word mark to reflect my personality and design sensibility. My intended audience for my resume is a creative director or account manager at an Advertising agency. Since my potential field of employment is in a creative, youthful, and professional environment, I attempted to have my resume’s styling reflect this. My goal was to create a clean and classic yet modern finished product. I didn’t want to clutter the page with too many design elements, and wanted the negative, white space to work to my advantage. I went through several stages of playing with my word mark. I have a pretty unique set of initials reading, “SPAM” which I thought might be quirky to use. However, I abandoned this combination for the simpler, more professional, first and last name configuration. I then capitalized on the repeating form of the “n” and “m” in the end of “susan” and start of “mihalick”. I decided to use all lower case type for my name and headers, to create a more approachable and youthful feel.

Choice of Typefaces: I chose the typeface “Caecilia” for both my word mark and headers. This typeface is an interesting combination of slab, antique and a modern serif, which creates a classic yet modern feel. I wanted to use a serif font to increase the readability of my name and header texts. I then decided to contrast this classic, modern style serif font with a sans serif to create visual hierarchy. I used the “humanist” sans serif, “Optima” as my body text typeface. I love its clean shaping and second story “g”. I used a sans serif for my body text, in hopes of slowing the reader down to absorb more of the content of my resume.

No comments:

Post a Comment