Sunday, February 28, 2010

McGill l Week 6

I decided to create a poster for Komanse Konya, a group hosting a benefit dinner and letter writing campaign for victims of the Haiti earthquake. I started by establishing two colors for my background. I used two pantone colors that are close to the ones used in the Haiti flag. The black strip stretching from the upper left to the middle right represents the earthquake that hit Haiti in January. I used the crack to represent Haiti which is why I created a letter coming out of the crack - to give the visual that the letters that students write will go directly to Haitian citizens.

The stamps on the letters are significant also. They have palm trees on them, which resemble the palm tree in the center of the Haitian flag. The crack also directs the readers’ eye down in the page. As they follow the crack line down to the right, their eye encounters the multitude of letters, which then leads to the quarter circle. The quarter circle is mean to represent a table (since the event will include a dinner). The table contains all the information not already included in the poster.

I decided to keep the poster rather simple and wanted the reader to notice the letters first. The letter writing is the main part of the event and I thought this was the best way to illustrate this.

No comments:

Post a Comment