Thursday, April 29, 2010

Extra credit | Annie Leibovitz | Staponkute

April 27, 2010

Annie Leibovitz

This evening, I had an opportunity to listen Annie Leibovitz. Honestly, I was not aware of how important she was and I haven't done a research of what she actually was. Now, after exploring information on internet and of course attending her lecture, I realized what a great opportunity of seeing her I had. Seeing and hearing all the names she worked with, makes me feel that this woman has already accomplished so much that many people can only dream about.

Not knowing of what celebrity I am going to hear, I was at first surprised of the number of peoples who attended. I came to Hendrick's Chapel about 30 minutes earlier and it was almost packed at that time. Not only the students were excited to see her, but professors, photography lovers, family, and friends were also there to support her.

The audience was applauding and shouting when she showed up. Leibovitz, being 60, still looked young and stylish. People could not stop taking pictures of her. After impressive introduction, I was excited to hear her speak and tell of how her life happened to be so successful.

However, I felt that her photography was talking more than Annie herself. Our professor for graphics design, Sheri Taylor, revealed that the projector was brought even from New York in order to satisfy Leibovitz's wants. That was also the condition Leibovitz would make an appearance at Syracuse. And I feel, it worked well. Lots of photos she showed were remarkable, but some not too much, for me personally.

I was amazed of how she was able to get into contact with celebrities such as John Lennon, Demi Moore, Nicole Kidman, Elizabteh II... This list of celebrities looks never end. I realized that being a photographer is not only about being good at your job but also about great personality. With this, she even the Queen Elizabeth could not resist of taking more pictures outside which was not planned before.

I think the beginning of her success was her young age of 19-20 and job at Rolling Stones magazine which brought her celebrities such as John Lennon to work with. Starting young, she already built an impressive portfolio which became well recognized and respected.

My father is a photography lover, and even though he would probably not know of Annie Leibovitz, her works would talk for her. I wish I could put myself in her shoes and have the experience she has. Meeting all the people she did is priceless.




No comments:

Post a Comment