Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Week 12: Nicole Buckbinder



Decision Making:

Deciding on the story that I chose actually came to me after already starting my project. One of my favorite things to do is bake, and when I thought of baking one of the most visual appealing products in my opinion are cupcakes. I remember seeing this very modern looking type of cupcake on “Oprah,” and I looked it up to find more information about it. When researching it I found multiple visual appealing photographs that pertained to the story and I went from there.

Choice of Typeface:

I chose the typeface “Adobe Garamond Pro” for my body text of my story because of its easy readability. In addition I chose Myriad Pro as the font on my cover page because of its multiple typeface families. For the title of my magazine I chose “Didot” because I wanted a sharp typeface to reflect on the word “Bite.” For the headline of my article I chose “Nueva Std.” because It was a smooth flowing typeface that I believe reflects the smoothness of the icing on a cupcake.

Color Information:

For my colors I based them off of the actual images that I took from the internet. I tried to match the colors to the sprinkles on the cupcakes. I had a hard time choosing colors because the headlines and text were getting lost in the visuals. I mainly chose red and blue because they appear often in the pictures. In addition I just used black as the color of the text because of readability on the white background.

Sources:

Cover picture: http://www.luxist.com/gallery/more-from-sprinkles/2672691/

Barcode: http://ceoworld.biz/ceo/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/barcode.png

Back cover ad: http://evyandcarolyn.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/lc_green_on-12.jpg

Sprinkles on third spread: http://www.sprinkles.com/wedding/decorations.html

Second Spread cupcakes: http://www.luxist.com/gallery/more-from-sprinkles/2672701/

Third Spread picture: http://abbyjean.typepad.com/style_me_pretty/images/2007/04/12/sprinkles.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I just wrote a huge analytical comment on this and then clicked some button that closed the page. I hate everything.

    But actually not because I love this! I think the picture for the first spread is fantastic and I love the repetition in it but variation as well, because they all vary a little bit. I think it was really clever to carry the theme over by using the dots on the second spread. I also love the layout of your pictures on the second spread, I think the stacked setup is really refreshing and I think the numbers in your side bar are effective at grabbing attention. One last thing I really like before I stop rambling is the gradient in the bar to the side of the first spread. It was really effective to have the bar fade from a warm color to a cool one, because we automatically look at the top first and then our eyes are drawn down to the text. Excellent use of continuation and color. The one thing that I would critique is that I have trouble reading the sell lines on the cover. Maybe change the color of them to make them stand out more against the lighter parts of the background.

    This is a great project though. Good job!

    ReplyDelete