Friday, April 16, 2010

Week 12 | Palermo






Design Strategy:

Once I chose the Yankee Stadium article, I wanted a wow picture that would give you a view as if you were in the stadium. The other pictures I pulled from events discussed in the article. I outlined my second and third spread with lines and a box at the corners. This was supposed to create the allusion of a baseline with the base being the box on the corner. I went with a three column layout, because I thought four columns of 9 pt text might overwhelm the reader. Many of my pictures were vertical and would fit nicely in one column of a three column spread.

Choice of Typefaces:

For the headline I wanted to mimic the text in the Yankees logo (The one with Yankees spelled out across a baseball and the patriotic hat sits on the baseball hat). I also thought an elegant font worked well with my headline “Hallowed Grounds.” I chose Coronet for the headline and deck head. For the text I settled on Stone Serif. Stone Serif is easy to read in small size and had bold and italic weights that I used for breaks in the text and captions. For the sidebar I wanted to use a sans serif to contrast the serif body text; I chose Frutiger. For the cover I chose Souvenir because it looked like a font that would appear on a baseball program. For the cover lines I went with a readable serif Century Old Style.

Visuals:

My “wow” visual is a view from the third tier of Yankee Stadium showing the field during the 2008 all-star game festivities. I tried to find visuals that added to the text and in some cases could allow me to bring up information not present in the text. The color used in the headline, deck head, captions and sidebar is pulled from the color of the wall of Yankee Stadium. I came across the cover picture and thought it was perfect because it encompassed the cover line “Farewell to Yankee Stadium” so well. Pictured is the patch worn by players during old Yankee Stadium’s last season. On the cover, the fill color of the flag and cover lines is pulled from the jersey and the outline is pulled from the dark blue in the patch.

No comments:

Post a Comment