Thursday, April 15, 2010

Week Twelve | Nelson




Choice of story: I had many ideas going into this project, and most of my choice came down to what I could find pictures for and a decent article for illustration. Eventually, I found this unconventional interview with Steve Carell, who’s one of my favorite actors. From there, I figured I had the pictures from his specific photoshoot so they’d all match and I could generate a sidebar on my favorite show, “The Office.” Since he has a new movie in theatres now, it also made sense to find an ad and use that on the back cover.

Typeface: For the headline type, I used ITC Machine Std Bold because going off the Rubik’s Cube used throughout the photoshoot, I wanted a blocky type that was also fun to reflect that attitude of the article; I used this in the deckhead as well in a smaller size and a different weight. I matched this font for the bylines and in the body text for the separate sections, but in the medium instead of bold. For the body, folios and the nameplate, I used Adobe Caslon Pro in various styles (bold and semibold italic in the nameplate, regular in the body and folios). For the body, I was just looking for readability and contrast. In the sidebar, I also used ITC Machine Std in bold for similarity, as well as Caslon for the body of that piece, so everything was continuous and fit well together.

Images: http://www.wired.com/entertainment/hollywood/multimedia/2008/04/gs_carell_ss?slide=4&slideView=2 (Picture on the first spread) 150 dpi

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/hollywood/multimedia/2008/04/gs_carell_ss?slide=5&slideView=3 (2nd spread, left page) 150 dpi

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/hollywood/multimedia/2008/04/gs_carell_ss?slide=6&slideView=4 (2nd spread, right page) 150 dpi

http://www.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/date-night-movie-poster.jpg (Ad on the back); 300 dpi

http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/The-Office-tv-51.jpg (sidebar photo); 96 dpi

Color: The color use in my design was completely designated by the Rubik’s Cube. I stuck to the bright yellow, red, blue and green characteristic in the cube and utilized that throughout the piece. Since the photoshoot was done with a black backdrop, I also used black as a color for continuity between the spreads. The red used was C-0 M-100 Y-59 K-12; yellow was C-9 M-0 Y-87 K-0; blue was C-100 M-74 Y-0 K-0; and the green was C-92 M-0 Y-100 K-2. These colors were used both in the headline and deckhead and in blocks of color (symbolic of the Rubik’s Cube, though I only used 4 colors that I thought could easily correlate to the cube since I didn’t want it getting too busy) throughout the background of the article. I kept the blocks of colors going in diagonals and verticals to help keep the eye moving, using different colors to draw the eye to different areas. For the cover, there is a solid stripe of red to match the red in the coverlines, which is C-100 M-100 Y-63.13 K-50.19. I just wanted the design to be simple to let the texts and words speak for themselves, but also be really fun and energetic as that is representative of the article and Steve Carell.

No comments:

Post a Comment