Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Maxwell Week 10



I think this grid works perfectly for this layout. Honestly, I was just searching for anything that would catch my eye and might be a good layout; but I really am in love with the visual and the setup here. I am not even sure what the magazine is selling, or featuring because the print is too small to read but the just by looking at the spread I like it because I actually want to know what it's about. I find the visuals sort of striking and unusual (maybe they're striking because they're unusual!) and I think the filter or whatever tone is on the picture works well with the desing of the layout. The headline being as big and bold as it is draws the reader in to the spread without even knowing what it's for or about. I think the continuation of the photo all the way across the bottom of the page encourages the reader to the read the article because, very often, I feel people get discouraged from reading the body text of an article because it looks like a long, long column of reading. Here, this grid makes the body copy of the article appear to be set up in caption fashion and because the visuals in the spread jog your curiosity, you almost HAVE read that "caption-looking body copy-text-stuff " above the photo. And even after the reader does read the article, they are brought right back down to the visual at the end of the text and I think that's a great way to use the setup itself to really showcase all parts of the spread. I love this layout and I wish I wasn't already set on my magazine project layout or I would definitely adopt this grid somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment