Thursday, April 15, 2010

Week Twelve: Nadell



Why I chose my topic

I decided to use LeBron James as the focus of the story for my magazine. I picked LeBron because he is one of my favorite players, as well one of the most marketed athletes, so I knew that it would be fun creating a magazine for him. There are also a lot of great images of LeBron, some of which I used in my magazine, others I didn’t have space for. It was fun to make a magazine for a topic that I really enjoy.

Typefaces and Colors

The first typeface I picked was Princetown LET. I didn’t really intend to use this typeface when I started this project, but I liked how it had a sporty look. Once I made the colors of my magazine title, “Jammin’”, red and white, it contrasted perfectly with the colors of LeBron’s jersey on the cover. For the headline of the story, I used Capitals and made it have a white outline with a black inside. I really just liked how the colors matched the black and white picture of LeBron with his arms open on the bottom.

For body text and the intro to the article on page two, I used Bembo Std. I decided to use Bembo because it has great readability as a body text. Also, it is different from Times. For captions, I used Bembo also, but I made them italics and a larger point size. I used Trebuchet for the pullout quote with the picture on the fifth page. There really isn’t a specific reason that I picked this type other than it is simple and very easy to read.

Lastly, for the “LEBRON VS KOBE” side section, I used Princetown for the headers and Times for text. I just wanted to use a typeface that was readable and wasn’t Bembo since I used it a lot already. For the “LEBRON” and “KOBE” I used dark red, yellow, and purple to resemble LeBron’s and Kobe’s team colors. Bembo was also used for the folios.

I chose to use drop caps to signify where different sections start. I think that this makes it seem like there is less to read, making the reader want to read more of the article.

Pictures

Cover: from The Providence Journal website; 643 KB

Back: from Nike ad; 213 KB

Second page: also Nike ad; 102 KB

Third page, top right: yahoo!sports LeBron James photos; 705 KB

Third page, bottom left: Sports Illustrated LeBron James photos on si.com; 131 KB

Fourth page: AP images; 49 KB

Fifth page, top left: Sports Illustrated LeBron James photos; 41 KB

Fifth page, bottom right: yahoo!sports photos; 90 KB



1 comment:

  1. I really like your magazine. I think you did a great job choosing your pictures. Your front and back covers look nice. Also, I love the image on the left page of the first spread.

    ReplyDelete