Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Magazine| Susan Mihalick



Rationale: Magazine Project

I chose Ultimate Frisbee as my topic for this layout project, because I love the sport and I am currently on the Ultimate Frisbee Club team here at Syracuse. Ultimate Frisbee is an often unknown and underappreciated sport that I wanted to highlight with strong visuals and verbal design elements. I chose this particular story because it captured several aspects of the sport’s intensity that I wanted to include. For my choice of typefaces I chose to use Bembo Std as my copy typeface, Futura for the Title of the magazine along with the pull quotes and deckhead. Futura was a good contrast to the classic serif of Bembo. The source for my dominant spread visual came from one of my teammates, Emily Bernhardt, a photo major, who I believe captured a calm yet dramatic moment of an Ultimate game. The image has great lighting and a composition that leads the eye from the deckhead down to it, and back. The other images I included in the layout were found on an Ultimate fan site. The front cover image depicts what is known as a “sky” and shows the dynamic nature of the sport. The back cover features a Nike ad for soccer cleats, which is one of the only pieces of equipment needed for Ultimate. This ad’s colors also ties in with the dominant visual’s. I composed the title of the magazine to come right from the visual eye line coming from the disc that the two figures are fighting for. The first jump spread image is 3872 x 2592 pixels, and 72DPI. The image first horizontal image is 2008 x1500 pixels and 72 DPI, the second is 500.332pixels and 240 DPI. The front cover image is 1786 x 2565 pixels and 300 DPI. The colors I chose were color sampled from several of the images. This color sampling helped to keep the pull quotes within the same color theme as the visuals, but also provided it with a strong gestalt.

No comments:

Post a Comment