Friday, April 2, 2010

Week 10 | Loguidice

For this post, I scanned a page out of "What the Health"'s (Student publication) spring 2010 issue that I believe shows a grid (rather easily.)
This page uses a four column grid, which can be seen instantly in the body text. A sidebar (titled "Digit Disclosure") spans two of the columns. The design seems pretty simple, and I think it works. It's clean and orderly, without two many distracting elements. The text stays within its assigned grid, and there really isn't any break in the "norm" as far as body text goes. The sidebar's break in the text is refreshing.
The grid helps the reader keep things orderly, making it easier to read. I think without the sidebar, the page would be rather uninteresting. The side bar was dragged down 2/3 of two columns, which breaks the monotony of the text.
I think there is positive tension because even though there is a lot of body text, the text is spread out with a healthy dose of whitespace, which I think keeps the design from feeling too constrained.

No comments:

Post a Comment