Friday, April 16, 2010

Week 12 | Leveille




Story
At first I wanted to create a magazine about penguins, but I couldn’t find a story that wasn’t nearly depressing or about global warming, so I decided to choose Tori Amos. I instantly found a story about her, which was published in the Daily Mail in London. The story was formulated around an interview by Adrian Thrills. Throughout the story, the reader learns more about Tori Amos and what she’s currently up to since her first album nearly 20 years ago. I chose this story because I felt like it told more about her than just her music.

Typeface
I used three different typefaces. The first is Adobe Caslon Pro, which I used for the flag and cover lines of the front cover, and for the main text of the article because it’s a clear, distinct, easy to read font. For the captions and the sidebar I used Eurostile Std. because I wanted to use a sans serif font that created a contrast with the body font. On my first spread I used Bembo in order to create subtle contrast from the rest of the magazine, though I don’t feel like it turned out exactly as I had planned.

Images
The first three images I got were from Google images, so they all come from various sites. I also found a tumblr site dedicated to Tori Amos, which is where I found the last image (http://fuckyeahtoriamos.tumblr.com). It’s a site where her fans post pictures, quotes, videos and more of Tori Amos. Because all my images came from different sources, I made the byline as if there was only one photographer for the story. The cover photo was 26.4KB, the first spread photo was 971KB, and the dominant image of the second spread was 79.4KB. The album cover Little Earthquakes was 121KB, The Choirgirls Hotel was 6.44KB, Boys for Pele was 19.2KB, Strange Little Girls was 9.38KB and Under the Pink was 4.77KB.

Color
On the front cover, I used the color of the lipstick Tori Amos uses in the photo as the color used in both the title and the significant parts of the cover lines. On the first spread, I used the orange of her hair as the main color of the font and a shade of blue from the light as the stroke color. The orange continues on the third spread, but rather than using the orange of the previous image, I used colors from the image used on page seven. I used the strongest colors in the dominant images in order to create gestalt.


No comments:

Post a Comment