Friday, April 30, 2010

Week 14 | Leveille









Design
I wanted to create a clean, simple and organized look for the Savor New Hope: Showcase the Arts event in July. I also wanted to maintain New Hope Arts, Inc.’s “personality.” I decided to create a banner using a painting of a street in New Hope as the home page to introduce the user to the event. I felt that this emphasized the importance of art in the community. For the five linked pages I kept the layout the same in order to keep the site organized and easy to follow. To create gestalt, I incorporated the colors of the logo, red and black, throughout the design. The black portion of the logo also serves as the icon when a user hovers over a link. Black containers were used as sidebars throughout the design and red containers were used for the main information of each page. I included photos from the event in order to give the visitor a feel for what it is. Also, since we are at Syracuse right now, I chose to make the directions to the event from Syracuse University.

Typefaces
I used Bembo Std. for the navigation bars at the top and bottom of each page because this was the font I used on my poster. In order to create a stronger image for the event, I used Futura Std. bold for the flag and Futura Std. book for the headers. The reason I used two different weights was to create a sense of balance on the page. The main text is Helvetica because it is a font that anyone can see online and it is clear. Although the difference between the other two fonts and Helvetica is subtle, the main text also stands out on its own due to the font.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this website. Homepage first. I love the banner showcasing the artwork on the homepage! It's beautiful (It would make a good "wow" spread in a magazine!).
    I also thought that allowing the logo to influence your "active" navbar was really clever. Good gestalt. I also like the gestalt created by the repitition of colors from the logo in your design.
    Good choice of photos on each page as well. They really showcase the event well.
    As a new-found lover of whitespace, I thought your design was balanced really well between positive and negative space. It isn't too crowded with text or pictures; it's "breathable," which I like alot.
    I can't decide though, which page I like best. I think I am tied between your homepage (because of that banner pic--love it!), your photogallery page (I think you set it up in a unique way, and it's nicely balanced), and your Volunteer & Membership page (here, I definitely like the separation and grouping of the text, and the picture which is placed in an unexpected place-on both the red container and surrounding whitespace. It makes it stand out.) Good job.

    ReplyDelete