Friday, April 23, 2010

Week 13 Ryan McDonnell


For my example I chose NHL.com. I feel they did a good job on hierarchy. The main headline that changes to various topics is the largest object on the page, which I feel is very effective in getting readers to easily access the biggest stories of the day. After the reader's attention is driven there, the headline bar on the right is the next direction the site takes you to, which is once again useful for getting the news in hockey of the day. The scoreboard takes up a good portion of the top of the page and has up to the minute scores, so this serves a very useful purpose (I'm not sure why the screenshot doesn't have the scores inside of it, but if you log on to the site you can see it). I do think they can make the navigation bar between the scoreboard and the banner ad a little larger, because I do think that gets a little lost with the large scoreboard and the large headline area, especially when it connects the user to so much that the site has to offer outside the front page. The team navigation on the top with all the logos linking to team sites could also be a tad bit bigger. Other than that, NHL.com really does a good job on directing where the user's eyes should go and serves its purpose really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment