Friday, April 16, 2010

Week Twelve | Picini

























Sometimes it feels like the media only covers bad news and tragedies, and that’s really upsetting. Although there are a lot of terrible things that happen in our world, I have to believe there is good in the world. I think we would all be a lot better off if we were informed and reminded about the hope and goodness that still exists in our broken world, so I created the idea for a magazine called Survivors that tells stories of people who have persevered through hardships and of good things that happen and don’t get publicized. I chose this specific story for my magazine because you said to design a spread on what we’re passionate about and my faith is the most important part of my life. I wish that everyone could know the freedom and peace I feel through Jesus Christ, so I decided to design a spread about someone who has experienced Him as well. I wanted to take my own pictures, but I messed up, because I chose a story and took the pictures before I realized my story was too general and I needed to connect my photos more to a specific story. So I ended up finding a new story that was closely correlated with the pictures I took and since I took 605 pictures during our shoot I was still able to choose the pictures that best correlated with the story about Carrie McQuaid. My gorgeous friend Rochelle served as my model and represents Carrie McQuaid in the photos.

For my typefaces I chose Charme Std for a pretty, calligraphic text to use as the headline and Berkeley Oldstyle as my body text. I used Berkeley because you gave it to us as one of your Top Ten Never-Fails and I liked its elegance. I wanted a serif font because I think they are the strongest and easiest to read, but I liked the soft feminine feel of Berkeley because the story is about a woman. I think the typeface portrays a good balance of fragility and strength, without being too heavy or too light to read. I used a drop cap of Charme for the preface to tie in that typeface with the rest of it, and make it more interesting. For the captions I used Berkeley, to keep some continuity but made the weight bold to separate them out from the body text.

I took the photos with my Canon Rebel Xsi and the resolution is 72 on all of them, but Professor Taylor and I determined that 72 on a camera is much better quality than 72 online. The colors I used were eyedropped to match shades of her skin in the pictures. The flag of the magazine is C:4.03, M:38.2, Y:81.79. K:0 and I used the same color for the back of the magazine. The stroke color of the flag is the same as the tagline and “Pain from Praise” in the cover line and the color is from her eyes because I thought pure white was too harsh; it’s values are C:.86, M:3.11, Y:25.07, K:0. The color for the rest of the headline, deck head ad bylines of the first spread is C:4.79, M:58.06, Y:86.53, K:0.02 at 80% opacity. The shade for the body text of the first spread and “Light” in the headline of the first spread is C:1.82, M:7.58. Y:37.35, K:0. The color of the pull quote on page 6 is pulled from the picture to it’s left and it’s values are C:29.9, M:98.05, Y:100, K:39.92, and the pull quote on page 7 and outline of the sidebar are the same color as the deck head of the first spread.

2 comments:

  1. Your magazine is absolutely amazing. Your photos are beautiful, I love the golden tonality you used. Not only are the photos gorgeous, but they also fit perfectly with the story you were illustrating.
    You used color really well in your magazine, especially the tones you took directly from your photos. There is a strong visual gestalt.
    Your typefaces are really well chosen, especially your headline calligraphy.
    I also really like how you used whitespace. It's a story about depression, and hope, and I feel like the large amounts of whitespace help to illustrate the story as much as your photos. It's really open and relaxing, and makes the reader comfortable with such a personal story.
    Excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw working on your project in the lab and then I already told you that pictures you took yourself are awesome. For this project you not only did work on design but on photography as well. Pictures are nicely distributed within spreads and it is fun and interesting to look at. I also like that you haven't used too many colors so that magazine looks clean and neat. The typography for the headline also works very well. It looks soft and feminine. Overall, amazing job!!

    ReplyDelete