Friday, April 16, 2010

Week Twelve - Wolk

Design:
I have always been interested in being a travel writer, so I decided that I wanted to design a travel magazine. One of my favorite places in the world is India, so I decided to find a story about India that would have really beautiful photography.

Typography:
The typeface on my cover is
Courier New, because I liked the newsy feel of the font. The cover lines are Century Old Std because it's a simple font that wouldn't overwhelm the beautiful picture.
For my first spread, I used ITC Avant Garde Std because I liked the chunky sans serif with such a punchy headline. I liked the contrast between the elegant photograph and the bold typeface. For the body of my story, I used Century Expanded LT Std because it had good readability but was still interesting enough to make the page look nice. My sidebar uses the same font but it is reversed, so I thought it looked like enough of a contrast while still keeping some of the continuity.

Pictures: The picture on my cover is from http://classicalindiandancer.com/classical_Indian_dance.html. The ad is from http://www.dae.mi.th/aero-update/image/air_india_logo.jpg.gif.
On my first spread, the photo comes from travel.webshots.com. On the second spread, the photos are from biocrawler.com and http://www.indien-reise.com/german/India-Gate.htm.

1 comment:

  1. Your pictures are striking! I especially love the one you chose for the front cover, it's stunning. I would suggest moving your sell lines so they don't overlap it though, just because the picture is so powerful, I think the words crossing takes away from it. I love your first spread, the headline is SO clever and I love the simplicity of what you have on it, it really lets the picture have its full effect. You have great color continuity between the spreads, I like the warm tones. The ad on the back is also perfect! One thing I would suggest on the second spread is moving the picture of the Lotus Temple to the bottom of the page because the architecture of the temple draw your eyes upwards and it would be a great way to draw the readers' eyes to the text.
    Good job, I really like this!

    ReplyDelete