Friday, April 23, 2010

Week 13 | Loguidice


Let me start by saying that I love this organization, and I think that what they do is terrific. However, their website has always irked me.
The site uses those containers that are so important in webdesign, but I don't think they're used effectively at all. The home page, which is supposed to guide a user, just seems too busy. The containers containing text at the bottom of the site seem to fight the picture(the main visual) for dominance, and the picture is losing. Badly. My eye is drawn to those three containers, and, lets face it, the visual is much more interesting. I think the best thing to do for the home page would be to make it more simple. Make the visual more dominant, and lose some of the text in the boxes. The homepage should be welcoming, and this one is a bit confusing. My eye isn't sure where to go.
Unfortunately, much of the inside of the site isn't much better. This is a screenshot of the first page you see when you click "Komen Race for the Cure" on the homepage's navbar. Does it look like something you want to read? Too much info in one place. The text is pretty dense. Adding to that, the two sort of "sidebars" also fight for dominance on this page. Adding to that, there aren't enough visuals, which are inherently more pleasing to look at than a bunch of text.
For improvement, I would suggest thinning down some of the information and letting the user breathe. More white space would make it much better.
On a side note relating to accessibility for the user, I think the amount of buttons and links to click need to be represented better. It's very confusing finding exactly what you want on the site. A user could spend hours trying to navigate--and in this day and age, no user is going to spend that much time.

No comments:

Post a Comment